FLIR Introduces New High-Performance SeaFLIR 280-HDEP Maritime Surveillance System
Announces Orders Worth Nearly $15M from Taiwan Coast Guard for New Shipboard HD Multi-Spectral Surveillance System; First Maritime Gimbal in its Class to Offer AI-Enhanced Object Detection
ARLINGTON, Va., August 17, 2020 ― FLIR Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: FLIR) announced the launch of the new SeaFLIR® 280-HDEP, the company’s latest high-performance maritime surveillance sensor system. FLIR also announced orders worth $14.6 million from the Taiwan Coast Guard, which is acquiring the upgraded long-range visible and thermal imaging sensors for deployment across three shipbuilding programs.
“With its advanced technology, the SeaFLIR 280-HDEP is ready for any maritime mission scenario and provides unmatched support for battlespace agility and awareness,” said FLIR Vice President and General Manager of Sensor Systems Tim Durham. “The 280-HDEP is the first maritime gimbal in its class to leverage edge processing to provide low-latency, AI capabilities that enhance the detection of objects of interest.
“For defense and commercial maritime operators this means reduced cognitive workload and improved effectiveness, which is especially important with the shift toward expeditionary naval deployments with expansive areas of open water to surveil,” Durham added.
Designed for full-time, all-weather maritime duty, SeaFLIR 280-HDEP provides long-range target detection, identification, and tracking for a broad range of mission support, such as Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR); maritime search and rescue; interdiction; covert operations; Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) constabulary; and disaster recovery.
SeaFLIR 280-HDEP builds on the success of the company’s SeaFLIR and TacFLIR® series of sensors. It also adds new features requested most by FLIR customers for enhanced reliability and open architecture processing, including:
- A modular, scalable control electronics unit capable of hosting high-power video processing and trained Convolutional Neural Networks (CNN) from FLIR and third-party solutions
- Optional Display Interface Boards (DIB) to display up to six independent video streams
- A new optional vision processor and graphics processing unit, plus an embedded digital video recorder with over 150 hours of video and/or thousands of still image capacity
- A removable solid-state 1TB hard drive, so that once capacity is reached, customers can swap it out for a spare drive and keep recording
- A new configuration that allows full fiber connection directly at the turret, simplifying cable management.
The first delivery of the SeaFLIR 280-HDEP to the Taiwan Coast Guard was made in July through Kolead Aerospace Co., Ltd.
The new SeaFLIR 280-HDEP is available now. For more information, visit flir.com/products/seaflir-280-hdep/.
# # # #
About FLIR Systems, Inc.
Founded in 1978, FLIR Systems is a world-leading industrial technology company focused on intelligent sensing solutions for defense and industrial applications. FLIR Systems’ vision is to be “The World’s Sixth Sense,” creating technologies to help professionals make more informed decisions that save lives and livelihoods. For more information, please visit www.flir.com and follow @flir.